Tuesday 9 June 2009

At the Beginning...

This blog is set up with the sole intention of revealing what my hubby, Vin, is having for dinners. When I started cooking, I was not even able to fry an egg. The first egg I attempted was when I was staying at a service apartment. It was an electric stove and the level was from 1 to 10. I tried the number 5 setting. I poured olive oil onto a saucepan and it immediately turned black... I should say that the saucepot looked like it has a black coating! Well... I thought it was "normal" behaviour and broke an egg into it.

The whole thing turned black and the whole room was filled with smoke. By then, I knew... that this was not normal behaviour and turned off the stove. I was so worried that the smoke detector would go off. So, I used the main door as fan and hoped that the smoke will dissipate soon! After that, I’m left with just a black-coated saucepan that no amount of scrubbing can remove. I was too embarrassed to call the staff for help. (After that, a friend of mine said that I could have easily asked for a change in saucepan from the hotel staff.)

I had to source for help from my aunt who taught me the power of WHITE VINEGAR! All you need to do is pour in white vinegar with some water and boil it. After some time, it can be scrubbed off easily. And white vinegar is very useful in getting rid of oily stuff, especially useful for cleaning kitchen walls and cabinets.

Lessons learnt in frying an egg: Use number 1 or 2 setting for cooking on electric stove; white vinegar is very powerful in the kitchen; consult Aunt when in doubt :p

Well… As time passes, I learned how to cook edible dinners and have become very interested in cooking. As how Vin puts it, it is one of the rare tasks that I can spend a long time doing QUIETLY, and not bother him at all. So, it proves that a pampered girl can still become a cook. Hope this will be an inspiration to the rest of the pampered girls out there!

1 comment:

  1. I used to cook for my siblings when I was younger. I think I could fry a better egg. But always bear in mind to give vin the first egg. The 2nd egg always come out better.

    The last time i try cooking again, my brother complained so I am probably not gonna try it anytime soon. These days, he's the cook. Cleaning up is just not so worth it

    ReplyDelete