Wednesday 24 February 2010

Loh Mai Kai


I suddenly have a craving for Singapore's Loh Mai Kai. Haha... When I told my SG friends I'm going to try making it, they are quite surprised as normally you can find this everywhere in SG!

I adapted the recipe from Lily Wai. Hers is more like the Malaysian version, and I wanted to make the SG version, which is white in colour, instead of black. Also, in terms of ingredients, it is normally just chicken. I added mushrooms and chinese sausages to mine.


Ingredients

Glutinous Rice (250g)

2 Chicken thighs

1/2 Chinese sausage

3 Mushrooms, soaked and cut into thin slices


Marinate (for chicken thighs):

Light soy sauce

Pepper

Oyster sauce

Ginger juice

Sugar

Sesame oil

Chinese wine

Stock:

2 cups water or chicken stock (I combined some water leftover from soaking the mushrooms too)

Light soy sauce

Pepper

Sugar

Salt

2 Tbsp oil

Sesame oil


Steps:

1. Soak washed glutinous rice for 2 to 3 hours.

2. Drain and steam for 30 mins.

3. Marinade chicken for at least an hour.

4. I then proceed to fry the chinese sausages, mushrooms and chicken. However, I realised that I should have just steam them for 10 mins. The meat will be softer and more tender. If we fry the ingredients, the chicken will be more dry.

5. Arrange the chicken, mushrooms and sausages into bowls.

6. Scoop the glutinous rice over them.

7. Cover the rice with the stock (just level will do).

8. Steam for another 30 mins.



No comments:

Post a Comment